Convert Document to PDF
There are several ways to create PDFs from Microsoft Word documents. PDF, or Portable Document Format, is used worldwide as a standard for publishing documents on the Internet. This article will look briefly at the origins and uses of PDFs and detail document conversion solutions that anyone can use.
PDF has become the de facto standard for document sharing and publishing on the Internet. For a complete view of the origins of PDFs, see PDF history at http://www.prepressure.com/pdf/history/history01.htm
Documents are created using various applications. Some of the most popular are Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Publisher, plus many other types of applications. Sharing and publishing documents becomes difficult when not everyone uses the same software.
Anyone can download and install the free version of Adobe Acrobat Reader and view PDFs. However, Acrobat Reader cannot create PDFs. To make a PDF of your document, you will need additional software or you can use an online conversion service.
1. Buy the full version of Adobe Acrobat.
2. Buy software from other vendors that need to be installed.
3. Use an online conversion service.
Buying a new version of Adobe Acrobat will cost more than $ 200. If you have an official copy of Adobe Acrobat, you are ready and ready to convert.
Buying another software vendor is a guessing game about what to buy and from whom you buy. Most companies will offer you a free trial version. Install and try before committing to buying software. When using Adobe Acrobat or other conversion software products can be a good choice, if you can afford the initial cost. However, buying software means you are ethically limited to using it on only one computer. You will also need upgrades as they become available.
Online conversion services are another option. For the most part, you simply upload your document to their site, it is converted and returned to you, either by email or a link back to the site. Some companies provide free conversions with restrictions, which can include document file sizes, number of pages, or limited ability to print or change your PDF. This option usually gives you a quick and easy way to find out whether the service will meet your needs. The advantage of using online services is that it costs less and the service can be accessed from anywhere you have an Internet connection. You also avoid increasing costs when newer software is needed.
A closer look at a PDF conversion option reveals how easy the process really is. pdf4u is an online document conversion service that can be found on the web at http://www.pdf4u.com.
This special service offers two ways to convert Word documents to PDF: send documents using their site or install their printer and use them for your conversion. Either goes through both methods.
Convert Original Word Documents
1. Visit http://www.pdf4u.com. Enter your e-mail address. This will automatically be your username and will be the address used to restore your PDF through attachments. If you have a Hotmail, Google or Yahoo email account, you will be able to use this solution anywhere you can access the Internet.
2. Select the Word document that you want to convert to PDF using the browse button.
3. If you subscribe, you can change any of the Document Settings. The only thing that has an effect on PDF quality is the PDF Quality option. The PDF Quality option determines the resolution of the PDF document. If you have a lot of pictures, you might need the prepress option.
4. Click on the Convert button.
You must be taken to a new page in the browser that tells you if the document was sent and was received successfully. If successful it will display Document Settings You will have a new PDF when you receive it as an attachment via email.
Installing the printer requires an extra step but once installed it is easy to use and you don’t need to start a browser session to send documents for conversion to PDF.
1. Open the website and click the Download Printer menu item. which is displayed in the left hand menu. Download the pdf4u printer and install it using the default options.
Open your Word document to convert and select the pdf4u printer as your printer.
2. Review your document and print using a pdf4u printer.
3. After printing is complete, the Document Submission Software screen will appear. On this screen enter the email address to send the converted PDF. Make changes to the desired document name and click the Next button.
4. The next screen is for Document Settings and display resolution settings. Adjust Document Settings to be placed on PDF and PDF display resolution. For best display results, select the pre-press option for the PDF Display Resolution field. Click the Next button and your document will start transferring to the pdf4u website.
5. After the document has finished uploading, you will get a Finish File Transfer screen to show the status of your file transfer operations. If you do not have a subscription to pdf4u, the settings in the Document Settings screen will be ignored and the maximum file size (at the time of this writing) that can be uploaded is 50 thousand.
6. Repeat steps 2 through 6 for each document that you want to convert to PDF.
Whatever option you choose, converting documents to PDF should be relatively painless. And because it seems as though PDF is here, everyone has to make sure they have this ability at their fingertips.