How to Relieve a Cough with Phlegm?
Windowofworld.com – A cough with phlegm occurs when your lungs become infected, resulting in more than normal phlegm. As a result, there is phlegm in the throat that comes out when you cough. Coughing is the body’s natural way of clearing phlegm in the respiratory tract so you can breathe more easily.
A cough with phlegm is generally caused by a cold, pneumonia and sinusitis, but this condition can also be a symptom of chronic bronchitis, heart failure and asthma. The longer the cough persists, the higher the risk of developing a more serious disease. This condition is more at risk for smokers and people who have low immunity.
Coughing is a relatively common condition so it’s rarely seen by a doctor. But there are times you need to get checked out to prevent risks. Then when is the right time to see a doctor?
- If your cough with phlegm doesn’t go away or is even worse, for more than a week.
- If the phlegm that comes out when coughing is dark green or frothy pink.
- If there is blood in your sputum.
- If your cough with phlegm is accompanied by symptoms such as high fever, chest pain, shortness of breath, weight loss, rash, wheezing, ear pain, persistent headaches.
- If you are a smoker and your cough gets worse at night.
- If you suddenly have symptoms of headache, muscle aches, fatigue.
Relieves cough with phlegm
The right cough medicine with phlegm can relieve the symptoms you are experiencing, but consult your doctor before taking it. Especially if it is about to be given to children because it needs dose adjustments, in addition to knowing whether it is necessary to accompany the consumption of other drugs such as antibiotics.
Here are some of the characteristics of drugs for cough with phlegm that need to be considered.
- Cough medicines that are consumed are usually useful for thinning phlegm or are called expectorants, so that phlegm is easier to expel when coughing. Because phlegm does need to be removed through a cough mechanism.
- Although it still requires further clinical research, Succus liquiritiae is an example of a natural ingredient in cough medicine that is believed to help thin out phlegm.
- Guaiphenesin or bromhexine is the main ingredient for cough suppressant which is also safe for pregnant women. Even so, keep in mind that this material cannot cure a more serious underlying condition.
- If your cough is accompanied by fever, take a cough medicine containing ibuprofen or paracetamol, which can also help relieve sore throat.
Many cough medicines are available in the market. However, there are certain conditions that you should be more aware of, such as the following.
- If you have diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, thyroid disorders, respiratory problems such as asthma.
- If the cough with phlegm affects a toddler under two years old.
- If you are breastfeeding or pregnant and need cough medicine that will not harm the baby.
- If you are allergic to drugs, especially the ingredients in cough medicines.
In essence, it is important to take medicines with the right label and designation to treat a cough with phlegm. It would be better if the drugs you want to consume are consulted with your doctor first.
However, before taking the drug, there are several simple ways you can do to relieve a cough with phlegm.
- Gargle with plain water or salt water for at least 60 seconds, three times a day.
- Get plenty of rest and consume enough mineral water.
- Keep your body temperature warm. Taking a warm bath can help loosen phlegm.
- Avoid contact with other people with colds and coughs.
Children aged six years or before six years are advised to consume natural ingredients to relieve coughs, such as lemon and honey. Honey will naturally clear the throat and relieve the irritation that causes coughing. With a note, honey can only be consumed by children over the age of one year.
Like drug consumption in general, cough medicine should not be consumed in the long term. Generally, the cough subsides after 2-3 weeks, so you should check with your doctor if after this period the cough doesn’t go away.
In addition, during coughing, cover your mouth with a mask so that the cough does not infect the people around you.