4 Ways to Overcome Food Intolerance
Windowofworld.com – Have you ever felt stomach ache, diarrhea, nausea, or bloating after eating a food? If so, it is likely caused by food intolerance. Check out the following article to get to know more about food intolerance and how to react to it.
Food intolerance is a digestive disorder that is quite common. Food intolerance occurs when the digestive tract cannot digest food properly.
Causes and Symptoms of Food Intolerance
There are several things that can cause food intolerance, namely:
- Certain diseases, such as IBS, pancreatitis, and Celiac disease
- Deficiency of digestive enzymes, for example in lactose intolerance
- Additives, such as dyes, flavorings, or food preservatives
- Food poisoning
- Severe stress
- History of surgery on the gastrointestinal tract
People who have food intolerance can experience indigestion when consuming certain foods, such as milk, cheese, yogurt, wheat, coffee or tea, fruits, honey, and nuts.
After consuming food that is difficult for the body to digest, sufferers of food intolerance can experience symptoms such as:
- Stomach ache
- Nausea and vomiting
However, these symptoms can also occur in other digestive disorders, namely food allergies.
Difference Between Food Allergy and Food Intolerance
Despite having similar symptoms, allergies and food intolerance are the two different diseases.
Food allergies are caused by an excessive immune system reaction to food, whereas food intolerance occurs due to the body’s inability to digest certain foods.
The following are some differences in the characteristics of food allergies and food intolerance:
- Food intolerance only causes symptoms of indigestion, whereas food allergies can cause digestive disorders along with allergic symptoms, such as itching, swelling of the lips and eyelids, shortness of breath, to shock due to anaphylaxis.
- Symptoms of food intolerance usually appear when food causes intolerance is consumed in large quantities, while symptoms of food allergies can appear even though the food triggers allergens are consumed only in small amounts.
- Food intolerance usually only occurs within a few hours after food is consumed, whereas food allergic reactions can occur in a short time or in a matter of minutes.
- Food intolerance is harmless, whereas severe food allergic reactions are potentially life-threatening if they cause anaphylactic reactions.
How to Overcome Food Intolerance?
Food intolerance can not be cured, but there are several ways you can do to prevent the appearance of symptoms of food intolerance so that sufferers of this condition can eat various types of food comfortably.
The following are some guidelines for controlling and responding to food intolerance:
1. Recognize and record foods that are suspected to cause intolerance
If you don’t know what kind of food causes intolerance, try to record the foods and drinks you consume every day. Also make notes if you experience symptoms of food intolerance after consuming these foods or drinks.
2. Don’t eat foods that cause intolerance or reduce portions
After you know the foods that trigger intolerance, you can start reducing the portion of these foods or not eating them at all.
However, you need to remember, avoiding certain foods risks making the body lack nutrients. Therefore, you should consult with a nutrition specialist to determine what foods you can consume to meet your nutritional intake.
3. Read the description on the food packaging carefully
Before you consume certain food or beverage products, don’t forget to read the ingredients label or composition contained in the product. Limit or avoid the consumption of foods and drinks that contain ingredients that you cannot digest.
4. Take digestive enzyme supplements according to doctor’s prescription
To prevent and alleviate symptoms of food intolerance, you can try taking a digestive enzyme supplement. However, before taking this supplement, you need to consult a doctor first so that the type and dosage of the supplement can be adjusted to your condition.
If you experience symptoms of food intolerance or difficulty choosing the type of food that is safe to consume because it has intolerance of certain foods, you should consult a nutritionist to get the right treatment. Food intolerance also needs to be treated immediately by a doctor if it makes you lack of nutrition.