4 Healthier Ways to Make Fried Rice
Windowofworld.com – Fried rice has proven to be popular in various parts of the world, especially in Asia. The delicacy of this dish is supported by various spices and complements, such as eggs, pickles, crackers, vegetables, chili sauce, and meat.
Even though it is preferred, fried rice is often considered a source of high cholesterol because its carbohydrate-rich menu content is processed by frying it. However, if the processing and ingredients are carefully selected, this dish can be a healthier dish.
Recommended Methods and Ingredients for Fried Rice
The following are recommended ways and ingredients to make fried rice healthier:
1. Use rice that has been cooked the night before
Using the leftover rice last night can make it easier for you to cook the fried rice that will be made. This is because rice that has been cooled tends to blend well when cooked.
2. Choose the right oil
Use a nonstick skillet so that you don’t use too much cooking oil. It is recommended to use new oil. Avoid oil that is used repeatedly because it contains saturated fat. As for good oils that can be selected are vegetable oil and olive oil. Both types of oil contain mono or polyunsaturated fats and have benefits in reducing the risk of heart disease.
3. Pay attention to the heating level of the oil
Leave the habit of heating the oil until it emits smoke. This can burn the food, as well as remove its nutritional content. For example, olive oil has a low hot point. If it is heated briefly, it will emit smoke. It is not recommended to use margarine or butter as a substitute for oil. This is because butter is high in saturated fat, so there is a risk of increasing cholesterol levels and the risk of heart disease, while margarine contains trans fatty acids and saturated fats.
4. Choosing healthier ingredients
Add vegetables, for example, chopped carrots, if desired, then saute until tasty. Limit use of seasonings high in sodium and teriyaki sauce. It is advisable to add, various types of vegetables compared to processed meats such as sausages or bacon. Apart from being high in salt and preservatives, consuming too much processed meat products can increase the risk of colon cancer.
Healthy Fried Rice Recipe
For those of you who are interested in making healthy fried rice, here is a guide to ingredients and nutritional content that can be used as a reference in one serving of fried rice.
- 1.5 plates of rice
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce with lower sodium / sodium content
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- ¼ cup of parsley
- 3-5 tablespoons of olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 2 carrots, cut into small pieces
- ½ cup chopped green bell pepper
- ½ cup peas
How to make:
- Get a skillet filled with vegetable oil and heat it over medium heat. After the oil is hot, add the rice and cook until it turns brown.
- Add the chopped spring onions, green peppers, carrots and peas to the rice and mix well.
- After 5 minutes or the vegetables look tender, set aside to the side of the pan.
- Add the eggs and stir until the yolks and whites are well blended. After that, combine it with the rice and other ingredients and cook again until it is completely mixed with the rice.
- Once combined, pour in the sesame oil, soy sauce, and chopped parsley. Cook until cooked and serve.
In a dish with the ingredients above, it contains at least 300 calories. These nutritional values, about 6 grams of protein, 15 grams of fat, 53 mg of cholesterol, 36 grams of carbohydrates, 3 grams of fiber, 10 grams of unsaturated fat, 3 grams of saturated fat, 498 mg of sodium / sodium.
There are various variations of fried rice that can be made according to the spices and mixtures. In Indonesia alone, there are so many healthy ingredients that can be used as a combination, such as bananas, bitter melon, mushrooms, sardines, and shrimp paste. Being creative with different processing and choice of ingredients can make fried rice dishes as an alternative to healthy food for the family.