What is insomnia?Windowofworld.com – Insomnia is not suffered by adults alone, children can also experience it. If protracted, of course this can disrupt the activities of children to their growth and development. Insomnia is a sleep disorder that makes sufferers difficult to sleep and stay awake at night, resulting in lack of adequate sleep. Moreover, generally sleep time needed by children is longer than adults, which is 11-13 hours for children aged 2-6 years, and 10-11 hours for children aged 6-10 years.
Causes of Insomnia in ChildrenAccording to research, parents have a big part in causing children insomnia. This is because parents who set the child’s sleep patterns from the beginning. For this reason, it is important for parents to pay attention to the child’s sleep schedule as early as possible. Do not let the child accustomed to sleeping too late. In addition to sleep patterns created by parents, there are several other things that can cause insomnia in children:
1. StressJust like adults, stressed children can also cause insomnia. Stress in children is usually caused by problems with school, friends and family. For this reason, it is important for parents to pay attention to the psychological condition of children.
2. TraumaChildren are more prone to trauma. Trauma to children can be caused by small things, such as movies he watched or hide and seek games that can make him afraid of darkness.
3. Excessive caffeineCaffeine does not only affect adults but also children. Caffeine that is consumed in excess in children can cause insomnia. Caffeine is not only contained in coffee, but also in drinks or foods such as chocolate and tea. So, from now on start to notice the amount of caffeine consumed by your child, Mother.
4. Medicine consumed by childrenInsomnia can also be caused by the content of drugs consumed by children. Drugs that can cause children to experience insomnia include drugs to treat ADHD and antidepressant drugs.
How to Overcome Insomnia in Children Without Medication?If allowed to drag on, insomnia can have a negative effect on children health. Insomnia in children can interfere with the ability to think, make children become weak and easily tired, also increases the risk of children experiencing obesity. This condition can certainly affect teaching and learning activities, as well as growth and development. But calm down, Mother, there are several ways you can do to overcome insomnia in children:
- Create a comfortable bedroom. Mother can create a comfortable room for your little one by placing her favorite items and keeping your little one’s room neat. Another way that you can do is not to put electronic items in the room. Electronic devices in the room, such as television or gadgets, will stimulate the child’s brain to always be active, and make it difficult to sleep.
- Get used to carrying out routine rituals before going to bed, such as changing clothes with pajamas, changing diapers, washing feet, brushing teeth, getting into bed, and praying. You can apply this at 30-60 minutes before your sleep schedule. If necessary, Mother can also accompany your child to actually fall asleep.
- If your child has not been able to sleep for 10-20 minutes, Mother can also ask your child, why he cannot sleep, and whether there is something that frightens him. After that, Mother can find a solution.