How to Treat Skin After Chemotherapy Treatment?
Windowofworld.com – Chemotherapy treatment is one treatment that is useful for killing cancer cells. But unfortunately, many patients complain of side effects after chemotherapy treatment, one of which is dry skin. Then how to treat skin after chemotherapy treatment ?, Consider the following review.
Chemotherapy can indeed feel hard to live, especially because of the side effects it causes. This treatment has quite severe effects on the body, including irritation and dry skin that can arise after chemotherapy treatment. Dry skin can indeed interfere, especially in chemotherapy patients, who are generally in a weak condition. However, that does not mean this can not be overcome.
Impact of Chemotherapy Treatment on the Skin
Chemotherapy treatment is done as a step to combat cancer cells in the body. The time and dose of chemotherapy are determined according to the type of cancer, health conditions, and the stage of cancer experienced.
One of the concerns of chemotherapy treatment is the side effects it causes. Some of the side effects of chemotherapy treatment that are often complained of are hair loss, diarrhea, infections, anemia, constipation, nausea and vomiting, to the loss of skin moisture which causes dry skin.
Dry skin is an effect of the action of chemotherapy drugs in the body. When chemotherapy drugs work to kill cancer cells, at the same time this drug also destroys normal cells throughout the body, including skin cells.
In addition to dry skin, side effects that also occur on the skin due to chemotherapy treatment include:
In fact, in some other cases, side effects of chemotherapy can trigger changes in skin color becomes darker. Skin discoloration can occur in the whole body, or only in some specific locations, for example areas of the body that are more often exposed to sunlight.
Caring for healthy skin after chemotherapy treatment can be done using appropriate moisturizing ingredients, as well as applying certain habits, to minimize the effects of dry skin after chemotherapy.
Tips for Caring for Skin During Chemotherapy Treatment
To treat skin stay healthy, and overcome skin irritation and dry skin after chemotherapy, you can use a skin moisturizer. Choice of skin moisturizer that can be used is a moisturizer with natural ingredients, such as:
- Phytosterols, which are types of fat contained in plants. Phytosterols are believed to be good for relieving skin irritation naturally. From a study, phytosterols are known to be beneficial in moisturizing the skin and have anti-inflammatory effects in addition, phytosterols are also useful in reducing wrinkles on the skin or face.
- Shea butter, a natural ingredient that is often used in skin care products because it has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, so it is good for treating skin. Besides
- Shea butter which is a fat contained in the seeds of the Shea plant, works as a good moisturizer for the skin.
- Vitamin E, it’s no secret that vitamin E has very good benefits for the skin. Moisturizers containing vitamin E are believed to have benefits for preventing skin aging. It also protects the skin from the effects of chemicals used in chemotherapy.
To help overcome the problem of dry skin during or after chemotherapy, there are some daily activities that need to be adjusted, including:
- Drink plenty of water, and consume nutritious foods in a balanced way, including foods rich in fiber and vitamins that are good for the skin, such as fruits and vegetables.
- Avoid bathing too long, generally just spend about 10 minutes to shower.
- Avoid bathing with warm water, because it tends to reduce skin moisture.
- Use a mild, fragrance-free soap.
- Wear clothes that are soft and not sticky to the skin.
- Wash clothes with mild formulated detergent.
You can also use sunscreen if you want to get out in the sun. Sunscreen protects the skin from the effects of ultraviolet rays (UVA and UVB) which can damage the layers and moisture of the skin when exposed for too long.
If the problem of dry skin is getting annoying, you should consult with your doctor about the possibility of using drugs to treat healthy skin after chemotherapy treatment. Although undergoing chemotherapy feels heavy, but it is not impossible to be passed more comfortably. Sufficient knowledge and strong enthusiasm for recovery, supported by maximum medical care, will greatly help you overcome the side effects of chemotherapy treatment properly.