US urges Azerbaijan-Armenia to comply with ceasefire agreement
“The United States calls on Azerbaijan and Armenia to carry out their commitment to the ceasefire as agreed and stop targeting civilian areas, such as Ganja and Stepanakert,” Pompeo said on Twitter as quoted by Anadolu, Thursday (14/10/2020).
A humanitarian ceasefire was announced last Saturday for the exchange of prisoners and the collection of bodies of war victims in Nagorno-Karabakh, Azerbaijan’s internationally recognized territory.
The truce came after a trilateral meeting in Moscow last Friday between the foreign ministers of Russia, Azerbaijan and Armenia.
But one day later, Azerbaijan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs described Armenia’s violation of a humanitarian ceasefire.
The Armenian foreign ministry claims Baku bombarded the enclave in the Nagorno-Karabakh capital, Stepanakert, causing civilian casualties.
On the night of October 11, Azerbaijan’s second-largest city, Ganja, which lies far outside the front line, was hit by rockets by the Armenian armed forces. The attack killed at least 10 civilians and injured dozens of others, including minors.
“We regret the loss of human life and remain committed to a peaceful settlement,” said the top US diplomat.
Relations between the two former Soviet republics have been strained since 1991 when the Armenian military occupied Nagorno Karabakh, Azerbaijan’s internationally recognized territory.
The new clashes broke out on 27 September, and since then Armenia has continued attacks on civilians and Azerbaijani troops.